Travels Part 2
Home ] Up ] Early Travels ] [ Travels Part 2 ] Travels Part 3 ] Travels Part 4 ] Travels Part 5 ] Travels Part 6 ] Recent Travels Part 7 ]


Paddy's Travels Part 2

November 2000 - April 2001

Photos of my travels

We began our extended travels from Dallas, Texas in late May, 2000. During the following six months, I visited 13 western states and traveled over 16,000 miles. Click here or on the link at the bottom of this page for details of my first season on the road, including my broken foot.

In November, 2000, I got to go back to Gainesville, TX to visit Tenderland Farms.  I got to see my mother and father (my real ones, not Michael and Georgia) and several of my little brothers and sisters that were only 9 weeks old.  Michael took photos of me with some of my little brothers and sisters and one of me with Donna Robinson, my breeder.  We also traveled to East Texas to visit friends in Mineola.  Then we traveled to Livingston and then to Houston to visit Georgia's sister.  I stayed away from their pool.  I walked into that pool when I was about 3 months old and got a real surprise (I found I can't walk on water).  As Gomer Pile used to say "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Then we headed to Southern California to spend Christmas in Newport Beach.  December in Newport Beach is nice.  The sun is shining and the temperature is in the 70's.  Don't you wish you were with me?  On the 21st I went to Dr. Cohen to get my foot x-rayed.  He said the bone is healed and I can go back to running and playing with the other dogs at the off leash dog parks.  Then a terrible thing happened.  Michael and Georgia left me with Dr. Cohen.  They went to the Christmas play at the Crystal Cathedral and left me at the pet hospital to be neutered.  That's not fair!  Now I am supposed to be quiet for another week.

For my first Christmas I got a new leather leash, special treats from Three Dog Bakery, and a green moose that makes noise when I chew on him.  After Christmas, I got to go to the Costa Mesa Bark Park and play with lots of dogs, including a Scottish Deerhound.  Now that's more like it.  In January, I started going to the Bark Park on a regular basis.  After about an hour of running and playing, I am ready for a nap.  In early February, 2001, we had record setting temperatures in Newport Beach.  It was in the 80's.  Boy was that nice.  We went for a long walk by the Bay and I saw two tall ships that were visiting from Hawaii.

On February 14, 2001, I became a one year old Irish Wolfhound.  My recent vet, Jeff Cohen, said that I was in great shape.  I have reached 120 pounds and 32.5 inches tall (and I'm still growing).  I like birthdays.  Michael and Georgia took me to the Three Dog Bakery and got me a doggy Birthday Cake.  Now that is something worth celebrating.  The sky is clear and it is a great day to be a birthday boy.  Our neighbors even came to my party and brought their dogs.  They live in Maine and have a Bed and Breakfast (

On February 21, 2001, I met Bob Burrud.  Bob is a dog trainer.  I like working with him because he plays games and feeds me treats.  This obedience stuff may not be too bad after all.  Of course, I know sit, down, heal and lots of other things already but Bob may make learning new stuff worthwhile.  I was supposed to meet Bob at the Bark Park for my second lesson when I hurt myself again.  I was chasing a stuffed animal which Michael was pulling with a cord.  I guess I turned too quickly on a hard surface and ripped a pad on each of my hind feet.  While I was playing, I didn't even notice it but after I stopped I sure did.  Back to the Newport Beach Veterinary Hospital again.  Then I had those dumb bandages on my feet again.  At least it didn't last long but I still didn't like it worth a toot.  The Vet thinks I'm accident prone.  I think of it as being a victim of circumstances.  I guess sometimes I do play too hard but boy do I like to have run and play and have fun!

Did you know that they have named a special day after me?  They call it St. Patrick's Day.  If the Pope finds out I have been Sainted he is going to have a cow!  Michael and Georgia took me to Muldoon's Irish Pub to celebrate.  I was a big hit since I was more Irish than almost anyone there.  Then Michael and Georgia took me to Ojai, Solvang and Santa Barbara, California.  I met nice people and got to walk around a lot.  I was surprised that so many people in Solvang knew I was an Irish Wolfhound.  I love being a celebrity.

I got to play with Bob Burrud a couple of more times before we left sunny Southern California.  Before leaving, Michael changed things on me again.  He cut the carpet out of the entry, kitchen and hallway in the Airstream and installed Pergo Red Oak flooring.  It looks nice with the red oak cabinets in the Airstream but I don't like it because it is slippery.  Georgia got something called a carpet runner to put over the wood so that I can get better traction.  In the meantime, I slept on a goose down comforter that Michael put on the floor for me.  Wasn't that nice of him (besides, if he didn't I cried and looked pitiful until he did).  In Arizona, we visited Tombstone.  I got to walk down the main street and meet lots of people.  I even met two miniature horses.  They were no larger than I am.  What is the world coming to?  I got to see the OK Corral where people shot at each other and Boothill Graveyard where the losers went after the gunfight.  Then we headed east to Texas.  In El Paso, I met Harold.  Harold is a 4 year old Great Dane from Santa Fe, NM.  He travels in a pop-up trailer.  I met Max, a Doberman, and Susie, a Miniature Pincher, at the Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville, TX.  I like the Texas Hill Country in the Spring.  It is pretty and not too hot.  I visited the Blanco County Court House in Johnson City, TX.  That is where a former President grew up (LBJ, if your history isn't too good).

At 14 and a half months old, I got to go back to Tenderland Farms to visit.  I got to see my father, Rebel, and my mother, Irish Crystal, and a couple of my 7 month old sisters (well, one is really a half sister).  I still have some growing to do to catch up with Rebel.  He is 36 inches tall and weighs almost 200 pounds.  I got to see Donna Robinson again.  She is a wonderful person and takes good care of my parents and siblings (brothers and sisters to those of you who haven't enlarged your vocabulary) since I'm not there to look after them.  We also visited the Danford's.  They have a puppy named Scarlet.  Scarlet was somewhat reluctant to play with me since I am so much larger.  I think she will grow up to be a good playmate.  Then we visited Melissa in Austin, TX.  She is an AGGIE (Texas A&M to the unwashed).  She likes me and plays with me so I think it only fair that I wake her up in the middle of the night to play with me some more.  Everyone left me alone in the house to go visit another AGGIE.  Can you believe that they left me home and visited another DOG.  This was a Sheltie named Merlin.  Merlin is full of energy.  I would have enjoyed playing with her but NO, I have to stay home.  Spoil sports!!


Previous                                                                                                       Next

Photos of my travels

States Visited During the First 11 Months - 13
Miles Driven - 20,022


Page Updated 6/26/2001